The SEA-7 Betatron is one of a new generation of Betatrons that produce high energy ionising radiation for industrial radiography, using N.D.T (Non-destructive testing) methods to inspect materials for defects. The SEA-7 has no moving parts other than cooling fans. There are no expensive water chilling systems or expensive vacuum devices, just a sealed glass doughnut shaped x-ray tube. Radiation outside the main beam is manageable, so safe working distances are moderate with conventional shielding methods. The SEA-7 was designed for operation within a dedicated x-ray bay, but as the system is portable with careful calculation of controlled area boundaries, the Betatron may be used for field based inspections or within manufacturing workshops. (Subject to local Radiation approval).
The SEA-7 produces Radiographs’ of very high contrast, sensitivity and resolution.
The SEA-7 Betatron is designed for radiographic inspection of fabricated weld joints, steel and alloy castings with a material thickness in the range of 50 mm to 300 mm, concrete and other materials from 200 mm to 1200 mm. The Half Layer Value (H.L.V) for Steel is 32 mm
The x-ray film field size equals 250 mm x 250 mm @ 1 metre focal distance. In operation the SEA-7 is recommended to use 1 mm lead intensifying screens either side of the x-ray film for improved contrast.
The cost of a SEA-7 system is 50% less than other NDT accelerators such as ‘Linacs’
The weight of a SEA-7 system is about 200% less than other NDT accelerators such as ‘Linacs’
The SEA-7 replaces isotope gamma sources which will struggle to meet the same sensitivity and speed of inspection.
Castings, steel beams, valves, nuclear pressure vessels, cooling pipes, oil pipes, engine castings, railway composites, flexible flow lines, munitions, solid propellants, Concrete structures, bridge tension cables, and many more examples yet to be inspected.
SEA-7 Technical Specification
- X-ray energy range: Adjustable from 3.0 Mev to 7.0 Mev.
- Dose rate @ 1 metre (in air): 10 Rad/Min (minimum).
- Focal spot size (max): 0.3 x 3.0 mm.
- Operation duty cycle at 20° C : 75% per hour, 10 hours per day.
- Radiation beam spread angle: 22°
- AC power requirements: 220 V 50/60 Hz, 3.5 Kw
- Equipment size and weight.
- Radiator head: 760 x 450 x 400 mm / 125 kg.
- Power unit: 570 x 340 x 270 mm / 43 kg.
- Control panel: 250 x 190 x 120 mm / 1.7 kg.
- Operation via AC portable generator: refer to instauro for generator suitability.
- Warranty: 18 Months or 2000 hours. *Excludes X-ray tube which is covered by a 12 months or 1000 hours pro rata warranty.
D7 film, relative dose to density adjustment.
Required relative doses in comparison with D7 film under similar conditions.
Exposure chart for steel at 7 Mev